L’Auberge Carmel is a full-service Relais & Châteaux property located in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea just blocks from the famed Carmel Beach.
The ambiance of the hotel and restaurant blends romantic old-world charm with the luxury of modern amenities. The hotel was completely restored in 2004, reconfiguring all 20 guest rooms, the entrance and landscaping. A million dollar remodel in 2012 included extensive upgrades to all guest rooms, lobby, courtyard and Aubergine restaurant. The decor accents the quaintness of original coved plaster walls, French windows and antique doorknobs with modern updates such as Bose® docking stations, flat-panel TVs and wireless internet access. Individually designed enlarged bath areas feature antique travertine tiles with radiant floor heating, hand-hammered copper sinks and custom bath products. Guest rooms feature original black and white photography by Helmut Horn, and offer comfortably furnishe
Originally built in 1929, the classic inn was commissioned by Allen Knight, one of early Carmel’s most colorful figures. Knight hired well-known San Francisco architect Albert Farr for the project, whose other work includes Jack London’s first home “Glen Allyn” in Sonoma County. Carmel’s master-builder Michael J. Murphy did the construction himself. The collaboration resulted in a three-story wood frame and stucco building that captures the historic Carmel aesthetic of a small forested hamlet by the sea.